We mobilize about 100,000 unique extra monthly views into our web pages and subscribe boxes using twitter. That’s alot of traffic to miss out on from just one little social platform….
1) Retweet all those meet and greets onto your own timeline to help out your fellow artists and show good faith.
2) Follow everyone back that you want to follow you. On twitter most people use those “Follow/unfolow” apps that allow you to unfollow who’s not following you (so they can make room to follow more people do to the limit ratio of followers verses unfollows that spans about 500-1000) so you could be loosing as many followers as you gain daily just because you don’t take time to follow them back. On twitter it’s all about showing your followers that you notice and appreciate them.
3) Twitter is an in the moment kind of network so it’s not as much about building a solid timeline as it is about being active. Tweet thoughts, news, music videos, other people tweets who you want to build a great relationship with. It’s an amazing traffic driver for you to get to know people and let them know about you.
Basically, the 10/10/10 Rule means equal parts telling, sharing and engaging. For every blog post or other original tweet you share, make sure you’re sharing (retweeting) other followers’ useful or fun tweets, and also engaging in conversation with the people you’re following. It keeps variety in your tweets and makes sure you’re not overdoing it with the self-promotion.
I also follow an 80/20 rule for retweeting vs marketing based tweets. 80% brand building and only 20% marketing tweets.
4) Hashtags.. Use 1 or 2 popular and relevant # to insert your content into those popular feeds where you can be discovered. You can also get into trending conversations by following and tweeting opinions into trending conversations already happening.
5) Remember that unlike any other social media, twitter is like placing a direct message into someones phone when you place their @… handle in your tweet, that’s an amazing concept that you need to be taking advantage of but in a very authentic way that engages a new friend. The more friends you make on twitter, the more followers will discover you. It’s incredible.
Tweet at least 3 new people every day.
As you follow new people on Twitter, challenge yourself to actually engage with them daily. I shoot for tweeting with 20 people I’ve never tweeted with (or who I don’t tweet with regularly every day. It’s a great way for me to get to know my followers and engage with new networks. It’s as simple as offering up congrats, compliments or gratitude for what they’re sharing in their tweets, or offering your help or a resource for a question they might have.
Overall keep things authentic, fun and tweet around what interests you.
Thanks for reading!
Host of www.AVALiveRadio.com
Entertainment Branding Specialist and Creator of the Music Marketing Insider